In Reteno, you can create dynamic segments based on specific conditions. The group members will change automatically depending on whether the contacts fit the specified parameters or not. This feature can apply to birthday emails, reactivation emails, split between customers and subscribers, etc.
- Go to Contacts → Segments and click Add segment.
- Select the Dynamic segment type and click Create.
- Fill in general properties:
- Segment title: it will be displayed in the general list.
- Segment purpose: for example, for triggered emails, regular promo campaigns, etc.
- Tags: for quick filtering and searching of segments
- Click Next.
- Add condition.
For example, you need to select all subscribers who have read emails this month.
- Go to the Channels tab → Contact activity by Email → Last opened → During → This month.
- To see what contacts have been added, click on Preview contacts in the segment.
- To see how many contacts are in the segment, click on Recalculate contacts.
- If you need to create a custom condition for creating a segment, scroll down the list of conditions and click Set up segmentation.
- In the window, select the following type of settings:
- Contact field management
- Segmentation by custom events
- Segmentation by events for eCommerce retailers
- When all the necessary conditions are specified, click the Done button. The new segment will be available in the general list of groups.
Let's take a closer look at how to create a segment with multiple conditions.
You can create an unlimited number of cards, each having unlimited conditions.
When adding conditions to a card, the segment will include only those contacts that match the specified conditions.
For example, you add two conditions:
- Last opened this year;
- Average order check greater than $1,000.
The segment will include only those contacts who have opened emails over the past year, with an average order value of more than $1,000. The card will look like this:
To add the contacts that match any condition, choose the corresponding option in the header of the card:
For example, you add the following conditions:
- Last clicked week ago;
- Last opened week ago
The segment will include the contacts that either clicked on links in the email or read an email a week ago.
Any of these conditions can be made negative. Click on ≠ to exclude any condition from the card.
For example, you want to add to the card all the contacts that have opened emails over this month, with an average order value less than $1,000. Exclude the last condition, and the segment will include only the contacts that have opened emails during the last month and their average order value is more than $1,000.
You can exclude the whole card. Such a card will be highlighted red and will have a not prefix in the segment equation.
With many cards, when you need to exclude a particular condition from the entire segment, use the right column. Contacts that match the conditions from the right column will not be included in the segment.
You can exclude several cards with different conditions.
For convenience of operation, you can group conditions in several cards using the following operators:
AND — the segment will include all the contacts that match the conditions of all cards.
OR — the segment will include the contacts that match the conditions of any card.
With many cards, the segment equation is displayed in the following formula: (A or B) – C.
- The equation shows in what order the cards are processed.
- Brackets are put automatically to unite the cards based on the processing priorities.
- The letters in the equation match the cards. A cursor on the letter automatically highlights the corresponding card.
- If the card isn’t displayed on the screen, hover over the corresponding letter in the equation to see the conditions.
By default, the contacts that are processed first are united by AND operator. In the equation, such cards are enclosed in brackets.
For example, the equation “(A and B) or C” will be processed as following:
- First, the system will find the contacts that match the conditions in A and B cards.
- Next, it will add the contacts that match the conditions in C card.
For more convenience, all the features are now available right in the segment interface after you’ve created a card:
You can export all the contact details as a static segment to the existing list. This is relevant for triggers so that a campaign for a segment can be launched instantly.
This might be useful for A/B testing.
You can split a segment only if it includes more than 10 contacts. We recommend conducting split tests with more than 2,000 active contacts to avoid inaccurate results.
For any information on the segment creation, see Tutorial at the top of the page.
Hints are divided into 5 categories:
- Conditions inside cards
- Formula for contacts calculating
- Operator "NOT"
- "AND", "OR" between cards
- Excluding contacts
Updated about 2 months ago